Crêpes are a type of very thin pastry made by pouring a thin layer of batter into a frying pan. The batter is spread evenly by tilting the pan.
Crêpes are very easy to make but there are a few rules to follow:
– The consistency of the batter shouldn’t be too thick.
– Always let the batter rest for 20-30 minutes before starting to fry the crêpes
– You should use a non stick frying pan lightly oiled after each crêpe (or once at two crêpes)
– The frying pan must be hot when you pour the batter
– Pour enough batter to cover the frying pan with a thin layer
– You should tilt the frying pan very quickly to spread the batter evenly. The pan is very hot and the batter starts to cook right away. You can serve Crêpes dusted with sugar or with your favorite filling. We love Crêpes filled with apricot jam or chocolate.
I used a 24cm frying pan.
Video recipe at the end of post.
Ingredients for Crêpes (15 pieces)
– 3 eggs
– 550 ml (2 1/3 cups) milk
– 250 gr (2 cups) flour
– 50 ml (3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon) vegetable oil (or melted butter)
– a pinch of salt
Optional: vanilla extract
How to make crepes
Place the eggs into a large bowl.
Add a pinch of salt and beat for a few seconds (until foamy).
Add 2-3 tablespoons of flour and mix to incorporate. Add the oil and mix.
Pour a little milk and mix.
Continue to add flour and milk alternately, a bit of each, and mix after each one.
In this way you will obtain a batter without lumps.
Let the batter rest at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. In this resting time the batter will thicken.
Heat a lightly oiled non stick frying pan over medium high heat.
Pour 1 ladle of batter into the frying pan.
Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly. You must pour just enough batter to cover the frying pan with a thin layer.
Cook until underside of crêpe is golden brown.
Loosen edge of crêpe with a spatula, then with your fingertips, quickly flip. Continue to cook until this side is also golden brown.
Slide crêpe out of the frying pan and repeat with remaining batter. Coat the frying pan with oil as needed.
Serve crêpes with your favorite filling. We love crêpes filled with chocolate, sour cherry jam, cream cheese and fruits, caramel pastry cream or vanilla pastry cream.
You can also make a crêpe cake 🙂