Did you know that you can prepare sweetened condensed milk at home, from scratch, using only 2 ingredients? And no special skills or special instruments required :). All you need is milk, sugar, a pot and a stove. It’s very easy to prepare: just combine the milk and the sugar and cook until thickened and reduced.
You can use homemade sweetened condensed milk for your morning coffee, for cakes, cookies, candies, doughnuts, ice cream and many other goodies. The advantage of this recipe is that you can prepare the amount you need. In Romania we can find sweetened condensed milk only in a few supermarkets and only 397 gr (14 oz) tins. And it’s quite expensive. So, I prefer to prepare sweetened condensed milk at home at less of half the price.
I have also a few tips for homemade sweetened condensed milk:
1. The more you cook the sweetened condensed milk, the thicker will be.
2. If you want to prepare a larger amount of sweetened condensed milk, use a large skillet.
3. Cooking time is proportional with the size of the pan. If you are using a large pan the sweetened condensed milk will need less cooking time than if you’re using a smaller pan.
4. Watch for the thickness but also for the color. The sweetened condensed milk must be thick, yellowish but still fluid.
5. After preparation, transfer the condensed milk to jars, allow to achieve the room temperature, then refrigerate. You may keep it into the refrigerator for about 1 week.
This recipe makes about 100-125 gr (3.52-4.40 oz) sweetened condensed milk.
Ingredients for homemade sweetened condensed milk:
Note: Metric and USA measurements
– 250 ml (1 cup and 1 tablespoon) milk
– 100 gr (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
How to make homemade sweetened condensed milk:
Place the sugar and the milk into a heatproof pan. Place the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until thickened and reduced to half. It should take for about 20-25 minutes but cooking time depends of the size of the pan.
You must obtain a thick, yellowish fluid, like a glaze.
Remove from heat and allow to cool. The sweetened condensed milk will continue to thicken.
If you don’t use the condensed milk right away, transfer to jars and keep into the refrigerator.
Recipes with sweetened condensed milk: