Soft, flaky, with a thin and elastic crust and a delicious filling, these feta cheese crescent rolls make the perfect breakfast :). These savory crescent rolls are kid friendly and they are also a good option for school or after school snack.
These feta cheese crescent rolls are also pretty easy to prepare. The dough is made with flour, yeast, milk, butter and egg yolk and is very easy to roll out.
However there are a few tricks for soft and flaky crescent rolls:
– knead the dough till the whole flour is incorporated then continue to knead for about 5 minutes
– you should obtain a smooth an elastic dough. It’s ok if the dough is a little sticky but it should be easy to detach from the bowl.
– you shouldn’t exaggerate with flour. If you add too much flour the dough will be too hard
– let the dough rise in warm place for about 45 minutes-1 hour.
– let the crescent rest in warm place for about 30 minutes. Don’t skip this step because is very important! The dough continue to rise and your crescent rolls will be very fluffy and chubby!
– the egg wash is also very important for a soft and elastic crust.
As regarding the filling you may also add olives, bell pepper, green onions, dried tomatoes or dill. Feta cheese goes excellent with all these ingredients!
I also like to sprinkle coarse salt and poppy seeds over my feta cheese stuffed crescent rolls :).
You may serve these delicious crescent rolls along with a Greek yogurt or along with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.
You should also try:
Ingredients for feta cheese stuffed crescent rolls
– 500 gr (4 cups) flour
– 7 gr (0.24 oz or 2 1/2 teaspoons) dried yeast
– 250 ml ( 1 cup and 2 teaspoons) lukewarm milk
– 50 gr (1/2 stick minus 1 1/2 teaspoon) butter, melted
– 1 egg yolk
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon sugar
For the egg wash:
– 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of milk or water
– coarse salt
– poppy seeds
How to make feta cheese stuffed crescent rolls
Use a medium bowl to stir together flour and dried yeast. Set aside.
Place the egg yolk into a large bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and melted butter and stir to combine. Stir in the lukewarm milk.
Stir in the flour, gradually. When the dough becomes too thick to stir continue to knead until the whole flour is incorporated. Continue to knead for about 5 more minutes. You should obtain a smooth and elastic dough. If the dough is too sticky, you may add a little more flour (1-2 tablespoons).
Place the prepared dough into a slightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in warm place for 45 minutes – 1 hour (or until double in size)
Place the dough onto the floured working surface. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces.
Place 1 piece of dough onto the floured working surface. Using a rolling pin roll out the dough into a 29cm (11.41 inches) circle. Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 6 triangles.
Place about 2 teaspoonfuls of crumbled feta cheese at the base of each triangle. Lift the ends over the filling then roll up the crescent rolls, starting from the base.
Repeat with the second piece of dough.
Place the feta cheese stuffed crescent rolls into a non-stick baking tray, place the baking tray in warm place and allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
Brush the crescent rolls with egg wash and sprinkle coarse salt and poppy seeds.
Place the baking tray into the preheated oven and bake at 180ºC (356 ºF) for about 20-25 minutes.
Allow to cool on wire racks.
Serve along with a Greek yogurt or along with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.