Tender chicken bites soaked in thick, creamy and delicious sauce… Mmm, so good! I love this creamy chicken and you definitely have to give it a try! It’s a family favorite!
This creamy chicken (chicken “ciulama”) is a very popular dish in Romania. And for a good reason: this creamy chicken very tasty and yet quick and easy to prepare with a handful of ingredients.
The main ingredient of this recipe is chicken and you can use chicken breast, chicken legs or thighs, even chicken wings. I prefer to use chicken thighs because they are so flavorful and yet easy to cook.
As regarding the sauce… Well, it can be made in soooo many ways. I think in Romania every housewife has his own recipe for this creamy sauce. It can be made using only chicken broth and flour (this is the low budget recipe) or it can be made using milk, heavy cream or sour cream. I prefer to use sour cream because is a little sourish and it goes excellent with chicken.
And don’t forget about fresh herbs! I think fresh parsley goes excellent with this creamy chicken but you may also use fresh dill.
You may serve this delicious creamy chicken along with polenta or crusty homemade bread. Potatoes may also be a wonderful side dish.
You should also try:
– Israeli pearl couscous with chicken and peas
– Greek lemon chicken soup (Kotosoupa Avgolemono)
– Couscous with mushrooms and chicken
– Roasted chicken with white wine and garlic
– Chicken paprikash with dumplings
Looking for homemade bread recipes? Here’s a few ideas:
– Focaccia bread (video recipe)
– Potato and rosemary focaccia bread recipe
– Tomato and garlic focaccia bread recipe
– No knead homemade bread recipe
– Homemade potato bread recipe
Ingredients for creamy chicken:
– 700 gr (1.5 lbs) boneless chicken thighs
– 200 gr (1 cup minus 2 tablespoons) sour cream
– 1 onion
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 50 gr (6 tablespoons) flour
– 500-600 ml (2 cups and 2 tablespoons – 2 1/2 cups and 1 tablespoon) water (or chicken broth)
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1 bunch of fresh parsley
How to make creamy chicken
Cut the chicken into medium pieces. Set aside.
Place the chopped onion and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into a large pan. Place the pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until the onion turns glossy.
Add the chicken. Cook on both sides until the chicken changes color.
Pour the water (chicken stock), season with salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked through)
Meanwhile use a bowl to stir together flour and 3 tablespoons cold water.
Stir in the sour cream. Gradually stir in 1 ladle of hot soup (from the pan). Pour this mixture into the pan, over the chicken.
Continue to cook at medium heat, stirring often, until thickens. Remove from heat and sprinkle fresh parsley.
Serve warm, with polenta or crusty bread.