Tender on the inside but crispy on the outside and loaded with a generous scoop of nutella, these nutella thumbprint cookies are definitely the best chocolate cookies! I mean they are amazing and they taste even better than the M&M cookies.
These nutella thumbprint cookies are so good that they disappear from the plate within minutes :).
Also these nutella thumbprint cookies are pretty easy to prepare with a handful of ingredients.
And now I want to give a few tips for the best thumbprint cookies:
1. Use unsalted butter or 82% fat butter. It contains less water an your cookies will hold their shape
2. Don’t chill the dough! For this type of cookies you must use the dough at room temperature to shape the cookies, otherwise they will crack.
You can make ahead the dough, keep into the refrigerator then bring to room temperature before shaping the cookies.
3. Freeze the cookies for about 15 minutes before baking
4. Right after baking, while the cookies are still hot, use a rounded spoon to arrange the holes. To fit more nutella :).
5. Heat the nutella just until fluid. It will be easier to fill up the cookies.
These nutella thumbprint cookies go great along with a glass of milk or along with your morning coffee. Also they make the perfect choice for parties and for holidays.
The recipe makes about 34 – 36 cookies.
You should also try:
Ingredients for nutella thumbprint cookies:
– 226 gr (1 cup) unsalted butter (or 82% fat butter)
– 70 gr (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
– 70 gr (1/3 cup) brown sugar
– 1 egg yolk
– 280 gr (2 1/4 cup) flour
– a pinch of salt
– vanilla essence
For rolling the cookies:
– 100 gr (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
– 300 gr (10.58 oz) nutella
How to make nutella thumbprint cookies
Place the soft butter and sugars into a medium mixing bowl. Mix on high speed until creamy.
Add the egg yolk, vanilla essence and a pinch of salt and mix to combine.
Add flour, gradually, and mix to incorporate.
Roll the cookie dough into 2 cm (1 in) sized balls. Roll the balls of dough in sugar until evenly covered.
Transfer to the baking pan lined with parchment paper.
Use your thumb to make a hole in the center of each cookie.
Place the cookies into the freezer and freeze for about 15 minutes.
Remove the cookies from the freezer and transfer to the preheated oven.
Bake on 190C (375F) for about 12 minutes.
Right after removing from the oven use a rounded spoon to arrange the holes.
Allow to completely cool.
Heat the nutella just until creamy.
Fill the thumbprint cookies with nutella, about a teaspoonful for each cookie.
Refrigerate the nutella thumbprint cookies for about 30 minutes to allow nutella to set (or allow to rest at room temperature for about 1 hour).
These nutella thumbprint cookies are amazing along with a glass of milk.