Soft and flaky sponge cake, vanilla flavored, plenty of sour cherries and a dust of sugar… This sour cherry cake is my favorite summer cake. This cake is a delicious combo of sweet and sour, packed with flavor and so incredibly easy to prepare with a handful of ingredients.
To prepare this delicious sour cherry cake you may use fresh or frozen sour cherries. You may also use apricots, peaches, strawberries, cherries and so on. The main rule is that you have to let the sliced/ pitted fruits to rest into a strainer for about 30 minutes to release the extra juices.
As regarding the sponge cake, you may find below the steps for soft and light as a feather sponge cake:
1. Always use fresh ingredients, at room temperature
2. The magic formula for the perfect sponge cake is: sugar+flour=eggs (the quantity of sugar + the quantity of flour must be equal with the quantity of eggs)
3. Use a kitchen scale to measure the ingredients.
4. Use a clean bowl and a clean mixer to beat the whites.
5. Mix very well the whites, until stiff peaks form
6. Don’t use the mixer when incorporating the flour
7. Don’t add baking powder. It’s not necessary. The cake will rise due to the well beaten whites.
8. Bake the cake right after folding the flour
9. Don’t open the oven in the first 15 minutes
To assemble the sour cherry cake just pour the batter into the baking dish lined with parchment paper, top with pitted sour cherries and bake.
You may serve this delicious sour cherry cake with a dust of sugar.
You should also try:
Ingredients for the sour cherry cake (for a 25/35 cm – 9.84/13.7 inches baking pan):
– 1 kg (2.2 lbs) sour cherries – whole weight
– 8 large eggs
– 200 gr (1 1/3 cup) flour, sifted
– 200 gr (1 cup) granulated sugar
– a pinch of salt
– vanilla essence
– powdered sugar for dusting
How to make sour cherry cake
Rinse, stem, and pit the sour cherries, leaving them whole. Place into a strainer and allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
Line the baking pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180º C (356º F).
Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
Place the whites into a mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt and mix on high speed until stiff peaks form.
Add the sugar, in 3 steps and continue to mix on high speed until the sugar is completely dissolved. You should obtain a firm and shiny meringue.
Add the vanilla essence and the egg yolks, one by one and mix after each on to incorporate.
Use a spatula or a wooden spoon to incorporate the sifted flour.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Top evenly with sour cherries.
Place the cake into the preheated oven and bake on 180 °C (356º F) for about 25 minutes ( or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean).
Allow to cool for a few minutes, remove from the baking pan, remove the parchment paper and allow to cool on wire racks.
Dust with powdered sugar and cut into squares.