This chocolate buttercream is my favorite frosting! It makes the perfect choice for cakes, for cupcakes, for brownies or for cookies.
This chocolate buttercream is so creamy, smooth, rich and decadent… Mmm, and it’s absolutely delicious and it holds its shape perfectly! So, this chocolate buttercream is the best frosting for piping. And it’s incredibly easy to prepare with only 3 main ingredients!
I say only 3 main ingredients because this frosting tastes amazing even without vanilla or rum essence and instead of milk or heavy cream you may use water. So you can prepare this chocolate buttercream using only butter, confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder.
A few tips for the perfect chocolate buttercream.
1. Always use unsalted butter or 82% fat butter!
This is the perfect type of butter for making buttercream. If you try to make buttercream using another type of butter most probably you’ll get a broken buttercream.
2. Don’t over mix! Keep an eye on your buttercream while you are mixing because it can break into greasy lumps very easily.
3. For the most flavorful chocolate buttercream replace the milk/ heavy cream with espresso.
4. Add liquid (milk, heavy cream or espresso) tablespoon by tablespoon till achieving the desired consistency.
How to fix broken buttercream
Although you have respected all the steps for the perfect buttercream, it can break into its component ingredients. A broken buttercream looks like cottage cheese, so you’ll know when it happens 🙂
If it happens to you, here are a few tips to fix a broken buttercream:
1. Mix on high speed for 1-3 minutes.
2. All the ingredients should be at room temperature. If they aren’t, try to change the temperature:
If the bowl is cold, place it on top of a pot filled with hot water.
But if the bowl is warm, place it into the freezer for about 2-3 minutes
3. If the first 2 don’t work, add some melted chocolate and mix.
You should also try:
Ingredients for chocolate buttercream
– 230 gr (1 cup) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
– 420 gr (3 1/2 cups) confectioners’ sugar
– 45 gr (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
– 45 ml (3 tablespoons) milk or heavy cream
– vanilla / rum essence
Note: the recipe makes enough to frost a 2 layer cake
How to make chocolate butter cream
Place the butter into a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until creamy (for about 2 minutes).
Add about 1/3 of the confectioners’ sugar and mix to incorporate. Then add another 1/3 of the confectioners’ sugar and mix. Add the vanilla or rum essence and mix to incorporate.
Add the remaining confectioners’ sugar and mix to incorporate.
Then add 3 tablespoons of milk or heavy cream (or as needed until achieving the desired consistency). Mix to incorporate.
Add the cocoa powder and mix to incorporate.
Continue to mix on high speed for 2 minutes.
You may adjust the thickness adding up to 1/2 cup more confectioners’ sugar if the frosting is too thin or 1 tablespoon of milk or heavy cream if the frosting is too thick.
You should use chocolate buttercream at room temperature.
Store chocolate buttercream for up to 1 week in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw the chocolate buttercream in the refrigerator then mix it for a few seconds to be creamy again.
Reteta in limba romana: https://www.absolutdelicios.ro/2019/06/crema-de-unt-cu-cacao-pentru-torturi-si.html